Saturday 26 February 2011

Angry Slave


I was born to be free but because of you I've never known what true freedom feels like.
From the moment I was born, you claimed me.  Took my name and recorded it in your books.  Gave me a number, gave me vaccinations and left me alone for a while.

Then when I was old enough, you made me go to school.  Taught me things I didn't want to learn. Made me stay indoors when I wanted to be outside, in the sunshine, with bare feet on the grass.  Taught me that war was right and just, and "just the way things are" when in my heart I always knew, always felt that war could never be right.  You taught me about the glory of war when all I could see was suffering and pain.

You taught me that animals were just creatures of instinct; pets to be owned or farmed, when in my heart I knew they had feelings. I could see it in their eyes.  I could feel it.

You made me feel like there was something wrong with me. Like all the things I felt were wrong.  Like there was something wrong with me? It was your ways that didn't make sense.

A justice system that was too expensive for ordinary folk.  Wars carried out in my name that I did not, would not, ever support.  Medicine that harmed instead of healed.  Politicians who cried 'democracy' and then did what the hell they liked once in power.  Freedom of speech but only if I say what you want me too.  Sex turned from a beautiful act into something seedy and nasty.  Women turned from goddesses into worthless trash on magazine covers.

And then you threw me to work.  So that I could spend my days going round and round in circles just so that I could pay your bills.  I didn't ask for bills but you gave them to me.  This planet was given to us freely but you built fences and charged me rent, for something you stole.  And then, when I get tired, when I can't pay your bills you harrass me and fill me with guilt and shame and hark on about 'credit ratings'.  I know what you can do with your credit ratings, you can stick them up your...Ask me why I'm angry?

Because you have lied to me, for all of my life.  You have tied me down with work and bills and obligations.  You have told me I am wrong to have dreams and believe in them.  You have controlled my mind, you have fed it with misinformation.  Everywhere I go I see tvs, popping up in railstations, buses and your magazines and newspapers, full of misinformation.  You only print what you want us to believe.  Everything else gets hidden.

And when I was a Mother, you still made me work.  You hounded me to get in to work on time when you knew the difficulties I had.  You pressured me to come in when my children were sick, when you knew how much I needed to be with them.  You took my days and made me miss their first crawl.  And yet this still wasn't enough.

When my family were sick in hospital, I still had to work.  And when they passed away you allowed me a week off to mourn.  And then you claimed me back again.

You took the religions and twisted them.  Taught that salvation would come in another lifetime, that it was noble to suffer in this one.  Yes, that was clever of you.  How we all bowed down like meek lambs and didn't challenge you.  And you taught never to question religion because that would make God angry.  Just believe it, you said, even if it doesn't make any sense.  Even if there are great big holes missing in the stories, the bits you cut out.  The bits that said your divinity lies within you.  The bits that said you are more powerful than you ever dreamed possible.

For I am a being of love.  Yet you taught me fear and hate.  Love is for cissies.  Forgiveness is for fools.
Yes I am angry.  I was born free but you have enslaved me, taken my days and nights from me and who for?  Why have I worked for so many years with so little to show for it?  Because that's exactly how you planned it to be!

But you don't enslave me with chains on my body.  Your slavery is an invisible thing.  Your slavery is a slavery of the mind.

No comments: